Decoding Worktop Jargon: Common Terms for New Worktops

Sep 13, 2023

Decoding the Worktop Jargon…

When you’re in the process of selecting the perfect worktop for your kitchen, you’ll likely encounter a variety of terms and jargon that might seem a bit perplexing at first. Fear not; we’re here to decode the worktop jargon for you. In this guide, we’ll explain some of the most common terms you’ll come across while exploring worktop options. Understanding these terms will not only make your decision-making process smoother but also empower you to create the kitchen of your dreams.

Edge Profile/Finish:

One of the first things to consider when choosing a worktop is the edge profile or finish. This term refers to the design and treatment of the worktop’s edges. Here are some common options:

  • Beveled/Chamfer: A sleek edge profile with subtle angular cuts, perfect for a modern look. This is often seen as the industry standard.
  • Pencil Round: A rounded edge that offers a timeless and soft finish, creating a natural flow to your worktops.
  • Ogee: An S-shaped, elegant curve that adds a touch of luxury to your kitchen giving a luxury look.

Selecting the right edge profile can significantly impact the overall aesthetics of your kitchen.

Fitted worktop Ogee Edging

What are Upstands?


Upstands are short vertical sections of worktop material that extend upward from the horizontal surface. They serve multiple purposes, including preventing spills and splashes from reaching the wall. Upstands are both functional and stylish, creating a clean and finished look in your kitchen.

They’re usually 100mm high and 20mm thick. Although, they can be adjusted to suit your space such as under a windowsill (also known as a riser).

What are Downturns/Waterfall Ends, and End Panels?


These terms refers to the continuation of the worktop material down the side of the cabinets giving a sleek modern look to your kitchen.

They’re known as different things as you may see the term “mitred edge”. A mitred edge is the term of joining the waterfall end to the worktop on top of your units.

Dekton End Panel

What are Splashbacks? 

Splashbacks are protective panels installed behind the worktop, usually against the wall. They serve to shield the wall from spills and splatters while also adding a decorative element to your kitchen. Splashbacks come in various materials, including glass, tiles, and even matching material.

Granite and Ceramic are always okay to use due to their heatproof capabilities. It’s not recommended to use quartz behind a gas hob due to the potential of scorch marks from the naked flames. 


What is Templating of Worktop?

Templating is a crucial step in the worktop installation process. It involves creating precise templates or templates of your kitchen’s layout to ensure that the worktop is cut and fitted accurately. Templating ensures that your worktop will fit perfectly, accounting for any unique features or irregularities in your kitchen design.

This usually takes place a week before your install. 

Why Wait on New Worktops?

Navigating the world of worktop jargon doesn’t have to be intimidating. By understanding these common terms you’ll be better equipped to make informed decisions when selecting and customising your kitchen tops. Whether you prioritize aesthetics, functionality, or both, this knowledge will help you create a kitchen that suits your needs and reflects your unique style.

Contact Us Today to Start your Worktop Journey